Q: How do I install the most stable release?

Yesterday I downloaded setup.exe (v. 2.125.2.10) and started downloading
and then installing.

I discovered first that vim (and hence vi) didn't work and later that ssh
didn't work either (missing crypto DLL, I believe). Different solutions to
both these problems were found in this mailing list, but I am not overly
confident that these were the last problems to be found.

Is there any other way to install than installing the latest-and-greatest?
The latest-and-greatest is of course is a must-have if you need it, but if
you don't it just throws in noise. Is it possible to install e.g. a six
month old tagged snapshot, that is known to be missing some of the newest
features, but is known to be stable all-in-all?

Peter