Re: cron doesn't run (was: Re: login and ssh: can't authenticate)

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 05:07:30PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> 	Everyone:*:0:0:,S-1-1-0::
> 	Administrators:*:544:544:,S-1-5-32-544::

> 	Everyone:*:1:1:,S-1-1-0::
> 	root:*:0:0:,S-1-5-32-544::

<snip>

Tried all that, didn't help me.

> The shell and the home directory are set up correctly for my
> users in /etc/passwd.  Paths are given in POSIX notation.  I
> never use /cygdrive paths in /etc/passwd.  I'm always setting
> CYGWIN to `binmode tty ntsec' in the system environment.  All
> important mount points are binary system mounts.  I don't expect
> shares to work for processes changing the user context w/o
> password and I don't expect to have user mount points then.

Check.  All of that is true for me as well, except I don't have
"binmode" in my CYGWIN.

> I'm always looking for the permissions of the concerned files and
> directories.  SYSTEM must have permission to read all files in
> /var/cron for example.  SYSTEM must have read permisssion on /etc
> and the important files in it.

Check.  Like I said, sshd works perfectly for me now, so I'm pretty
sure all the 'ntsec' and SYSTEM stuff is OK.  I'm pretty sure
SYSTEM can read everything under /var/cron, because I see "RELOAD
tabs/ryans" in the event logs.

> Hope that helps.  I'm really getting tired of answering that sort
> of mail.  Everything should be in the mailing list archive now.

I know the feeling :)  Unfortunately, some crucial step is missing, or
something has changed recently that is causing it to break.

--
Ryan T. Sammartino (ryants@shaw.ca)
http://members.shaw.ca/ryants/