Re: cygwin1.dll (file version 1003.6.0.0) dup problem with gcc

At 01:40 PM 12/17/2001, Suman Kumar Ray wrote:

>Hi,
>  In the mailing list, I have found this problem with
>earlier dll but with no solution or information
>whether this is a bug of cygwin.
>If I use cygwin.dll file version 1003.6.0.0, then when
>a windows GUI based IDE is calling gcc through
>createprocess and pass a file for compilation  error
>message appears as
>fhandler_base::dup: dup(unknown disk file) failed,
>handle 0, Win32 error 6. If I use cygwin1.dll file
>version 1003.2.0.0 ( I mean I put gcc in separate
>directory and put 1003.2.0.0 cygwin1.dll there), no
>problem in calling gcc from IDE. Interestingly, if I
>open cygwin shell, within that I can compile using any
>of the above dlls.
>  Can somebody please tell me, what is the problem, and
>how to rectify it ?
>  I have tried following command after reading one
>e-mail, but no success.
>  mount -b --change-cygdrive-prefix /cygdrive

Right.  This isn't a cygdrive issue so I wouldn't expect to see any
significant change by altering the mount option here.

Clearly, fhandler::dup() is getting an invalid handle ('net helpmsg 6'
tells you that).  Given that the handle is 0, I think it's clear that
this complaint is valid.  Beyond that though, you're going to need to
dig a little deeper to find the root of the problem.  The issue is
internal, which would require debugging to find the cause and correct
it.  If you can, debugging Cygwin via gdb would be the best way to go.
Alternatively, if you can't do that, calling gcc indirectly through
strace in your IDE environment would provide some trace information
that might help you or others better understand the problem.

Good luck,