talk(1) on WinXP -- perplexing behavior

Subject: talk(1) on WinXP -- perplexing behavior

Hi folks,

I'm having lots of trouble getting talk(1) to work correctly.  I've
read the documentation, man pages, mailing-list archives etc but to no
avail.

My Cygwin system is set up on a WinXP Box running ICF/ICS (Microsoft's
Internet Connection Firewall and Internet Connection Sharing).  The
Local Area Connection (1) to the external Internet is setting its own
external IP address as the "machine hosting this service on my
network," and it is permitting UDF 518 (ntalk) to pass thru.

This machine also has a second Local Area Connection (2) which
connects it to the rest of my LAN, and thru which my other machines
reach the outside world.

The behavior of talk(1) is puzzling me. There are four cases I have
identified:

1) When I disable Local Area Connection (2)

   a) If I receive a talk request on this system from a remote system,
   everything seems to work fine.  I can reply as specified, and talk.

   b) If I initiate a talk request on this system to a remote system,
   the remote user sees my request. I see:

      [No connection yet]
      [Waiting for your party to respond]
      [Ringing your party again]

   When he tries to reply to my request he gets the error:

      [No connection yet]
      [Unable to connect with initiator : Address already in use (48)]

   so, we seem to miss eachother.

2) When I enable Local Area Connection (2)  [THE DESIRED STATE]

   a) If I receive a talk request on this system from a remote system,
   I see the request.  When I try to reply I get the messages:

      [No connection yet]
      [Checking for invitation on caller's machine]
      [Checking for invitation on caller's machine]

   and he sees:

      [Ringing your party again]
      [Ringing your party again]
      [Ringing your party again]

   so, again we seem to miss eachother.

   b) If I send a talk request on this system to a remote system, I
   see:

      [No connection yet]
      [Checking for invitation on caller's machine]
      [Checking for invitation on caller's machine]

   and he sees nothing, and has no idea I'm trying to talk to him, and
   yes, he is 'mesg y'

   Any ideas?  Thanks in advance,

   Andrew