From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com] On Behalf
Of Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
Sent: Friday, 1 February 2002 6 25
To: Andrew DeFaria; cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Why not a news server?

At 12:59 PM 2/1/2002, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>Why not simply set up a news server instead of this mail list. I find
the mail list deficient in several areas. First and foremost it's noisy
causing me to wade through all this email for topics I'm interested in.
Secondly there's no easy or convenient way to response to individual
issues (I get a digest of cygwin stuff emailed to me). Seems to me that
nntp was designed specifically for such communications and a number of
companies have set up news servers for such things.

>Finally a number of times I receive a digest speaking of topics and
articles but the email message is apparently truncated and the bodies of
these articles are missing.

>Comments? (I'm sure there will be some).

Well at least it's been years since this topic came up.  It used to come
up every few months. :-(

OK, there are differences now compared to when this topic was last
discussed so maybe it warrants "discussion".  However, I'd highly
recommend that anyone that wishes to discuss this review the email list
archives.  I think it was generally agreed that no one objected to the
use of a news server so long as it didn't replace the email list.

In this context, I believe the main reason that a news server has never
been implemented is that no one has volunteered to set one up and run
it.
So, I guess if you're interested in having one, you can have one if you
or someone else is willing to do the work to create and maintain it.
Not to sound too pessimistic but pointing out this fact in the past was
enough to kill the thread... for a while.