From: Jonathan C. Detert [mailto:detertj@msoe.edu]
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2002 11:00 AM
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: trouble running commands non-interactively (e.g. via ssh, cron,
at)

Hello,

I've got DLL version 1.3.6 installed on NT 4.0 SP6.

I'm trying to create/delete user accounts in the domain that the cygwin
box is in.

If I (interactively) login into the cygwin box via ssh, I can successfully
run the "NT Resource Kit" addusers command and the Ms. Exchange "admin.exe"
command to create/delete accounts.

However, If I try to run either of those commands non-interactively
via ssh, they don't work.  The commands return with no effect.

At first, I thought the problem was something peculiar about the
addusers and admin commands.  So, I wrote perl programs to manage the
accounts.  However, the same problem applies to the perl programs - they
work fine when run from an interactive login-shell, but not when run
non-interactively from ssh.

The same problem occurrs when I try to schedule programs via cron or at
- the scheduled programs fail (i don't even know if they run - there's
  no log anywhere that I can find; I just know they don't do what they
  were intended to do).

Any ideas?

AtDhVaAnNkCsE
--
Happy Landings,

Jon Detert
Unix System Administrator, Milwaukee School of Engineering
1025 N. Broadway, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202