Re: cygwin!

Joshua,

I don't know what this is supposed to help with, because Cygwin will launch
non-Cygwin programs just fine, and that includes the full suite of Java SDK
tools, the JRE subset thereof and any program written in Java and requiring
one of the previous two.

There is exactly no advantage to using CMD.exe to initiate a Java SDK tool,
or the Java interpreter of JRE.

I have no idea what a Java ".exe" file might be, but if it is some sort of
wrapper meant to create the illusion that a Java program is directly
executable (by supplying the invocation of the Java interpreter), that too
is irrelevant to whether the program is invoked from a Cygwin context (a
shell or some other Cygwin-linked executable using one of the POSIX
exec...() calls) or from a native Win32 program.

If you want to pass Cygwin / POSIX names to a Java program or Java SDK
tool, you'll have to translate them first by applying "cygpath -w" and / or
"cygpath -w -p" to arguments or environment variables that will be
interpreted by the Java program or the JVM (as file or directory names or
as PATH-like variables).

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA