This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Help changing dir with spaces...
- From: "Ehud Karni" <ehud at unix dot simonwiesel dot co dot il>
- To: j dot gift at wanadoo dot fr
- Cc: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 21:06:34 +0200
- Subject: Re: Help changing dir with spaces...
- Organization: Mivtach-Simon Insurance agencies
- References: <01de01c1bfb8$16601d90$c31a80d9@palatine>
- Reply-to: ehud at unix dot simonwiesel dot co dot il
On Wed, 27 Feb 2002 18:56:28 +0100, Jonathan Gift <email@example.com> wrote:
> I'm very familiar with Linux and new to Cywin, but one of my first
> priorities is to mobe around the Bash shell. The only really pressing matter
> is how to move to the folders under WXP: C:\Documents and settings
> I can move to C:\Work or C:\tmp but anything with spaces it balks at. Since
> I can't change XP's default, is there a way to get Bash to accept the space?
Bash on Cygwin works exactly as Bash on GNU/Linux. If you are "very
familiar with Linux", you should know that you have several options.
1. You can escape the space by using backslash, i.e. do
cd /cygdrive/c/Documents\ and\ settings
2. You can use wildcard - cd /cygdrive/c/Documents*settings
or cd /cygdrive/c/Documents?and?settings
3. You can quote the full directory name, i.e. do
cd "/cygdrive/c/Documents and settings"
4. You can use the Bash name completion mechanism -
type: cd /cygdrive/c/Documen and TAB
play with it and learn how it work.
P.S. I saw Larry's email, but I couldn't resist myself.
Ehud Karni Tel: +972-3-7966-561 /"\
Mivtach - Simon Fax: +972-3-7966-667 \ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign
Insurance agencies (USA) voice mail and X Against HTML Mail
http://www.mvs.co.il FAX: 1-815-5509341 / \
mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org Better Safe Than Sorry
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting: http://cygwin.com/bugs.html