Re: Enviroment always uppercased; Help me, please

Sounds like a problem with starting env directly from the command shell.
Like he said, don't start cygwin programs from non-cygwin programs, i.e.
don't run env from the command shell- use bash instead.

 From a cmd shell-

cmd> set cAsE=sEnSiTiVe
cmd> env | grep -i case
CASE=sEnSiTiVe

 From a bash shell-

bash> export cAsE=sEnSiTiVe
bash> env | grep -i case
cAsE=sEnSiTiVe

HTH,
Peter

Markus K. E. Kommant wrote:

> No, it doesn't
>
> When calling env.exe (compiled with cygwin1.dll), cygwin programs installed
> in c:/usr/bin
>
> starting cmd.exe:
>
> C:\>set garfield=1234
> C:\>c:\usr\bin\env.exe | c:\usr\bin\grep -i gar
> GARFIELD=1234
>
> env.exe (the cygwin program) has uppercased the environment.
> (the set in the example was the set of cmd.exe, useally there is no set.exe
> in /usr/bin)
>
> The solution, to start a cygwin program "NOT" from another cygwin program is
> impossible on Windows. B. Gates won't rebuild Windows with useage of
> cygwin1.dll?
>
> And this is not typical for Windows (as you see by using set from cmd.exe)
> and it is not typical for UNIX and POSIX.
>
> To uppercase some Environment values can make sense.
>
> When exporting them to a DOS (and some Windows programs), but this is not
> done by cygwin.
>
> And it could make sense to uppercase *some* variables, which come from
> Windows programs, see MKS Toolkit, like PATH, instead of Path, and some
> more, but this is optional. Else the use of cygwin is very restricted. I
> solved this problem in a port of the pdksh very carefully... But all the
> work is trash, if startupcode will change the environment - without
> notification or option to stop it.
>
> At the moment I am looking for a stable way (see thread Re: cygwin gcc DLLs
> loaded by Visual C++ crashing) to call the pdksh.exe as a pdksh1.dll.
>
> But the solution posted is not stable at the moment. After a while the
> programs will hang.
> But the environment is okay (startupcode of MSVC seems to be okay...).
>
> At least. Using the original Environment in cygwin is impossible. (> As cfg
> said: "Don't start the program from a non cygwin program")
>
> The solution could be a user build cygwin1.dll without the Environment
> hack?!? Anybody?
>
> Markus
> - Thread closed.

1 Timothy 4:12 (NIV)- Don't let anyone look down on you because you are
young, but set an example for the believers
in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity.