Re: Why not a news server?

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> writes:
>

>>Supposedly, Lars set this nntp thing up as a service to the cygwin
>>community.
>>

> Er, no.
>
> Read <URL: http://gmane.org/>.

Okay, so gmane is a more comprehensive effort than a specific project to
support an nntp gateway for cygwin's mailing lists.  But *somebody* had
to set up the mapping

cygwin@cygwin.com       <--> gmane.os.cygwin
cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com <--> gmane.os.cygwin.xfree

gmane doesn't mirror EVERY mailing list out there.  The person who set
up the mapping, whoever it was, did so for a reason.  Somebody else
(you, Lars?) approved the request to do so.  Whatever -- I don't really
care.  I dislike the news interface.  Somebody else out there likes it
enough to do whatever was necessary to create the *cygwin* gateway using
the gmane service.

That person, whoever it was, should have announced that they had done
so, using the references provided.  *I* had nothing to do with it.  *I*
don't even use it.  So *I* shouldn't implicitly take credit for it by
announcing it.

Geez, I can't believe I'm still writing about something *I* don't care
about...

--Chuck