Re: fetchmail 5.9.8 and maildrop 1.3.7

Jason,

The release notes (post by Cristopher: http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2002-02/msg01350.html) mention recv() explicitly:

> - Implement socket read/write using recv/send. (corinna)

Bit vague, though, so I don't know if Corinna tackled the MSG_PEEK issue. Mind you, the thought has crossed my mind that XP has a tweaked TCP/IP stack, but we're getting into Twilight Zone stuff here... I'll probably filter my e-mail to another box for a few weeks (build up a REAL large mailbox), then let my 'clean' build of fetchmail have a go at 100 or so megs of mail a couple of times, and diff the results ;)

> > I'm also not entirely sure that fetchmail is not the one inserting
> > (or handing over, or whatever) the extra blank line upon mailbox creation
> > (appends work fine...). I'll have to check later.
>
> My WAG would be on the MDA (i.e., maildrop) not fetchmail.  BTW, I have
> had no such problems with procmail regardless of mailbox creation or
> appending.

Well... Since it's a single blank line, it might actually come from anywhere. I've run maildrop from the command line, faked all the right inputs, and it workedfine (no blank line). But then, I'm not an MTA, so I might have screwed up someplace. Again, I use mutt mostly over IMAP-SSL (and need to access my e-mail from far too many boxes to feel comfortable with it being fetched just to my laptop), so I'm not going to look into this much further for now.

> > Anyway, if you've been using fetchmail + procmail since September,
> > what's keeping it from being added to the packages list? :) Is it the
> > BIND issue?
>
> No, it's not BIND -- it's just laziness on my part.  I really would like
> to contribute fetchmail and procmail.  Unfortunately, it appears that I
> have chosen unwisely selecting the packages that I currently maintain --
> PostgreSQL and Python.  These two seem to keep me quite busy.

Ouch. :)

> Maybe I should have chosen packages that no one ever uses.  You know...
> Shelfware.  That would have minimized my support efforts. :,)

LOL. Well, I got ion (http://www.students.tut.fi/~tuomov/ion/), the minimalistic screen-like X window manager to run properly under cygwin-xfree, and would hearltily recommend it as one such package :)

(Actually, I find ion pretty useful, although my build of GTKYahoo - yes, under Cygwin - it CAN be done... - tends to freak out under it.)

> > (I'd be glad to lend a hand, mind you...)
>
> If you would like to contribute BIND, fetchmail, or procmail, please let
> me know.  I will supply you with my build recipes and help you in anyway
> that I can.

Okay. Here's the deal: I'm going to dive into rxvt (the cursor display corruption bug is really annoying for me, since I _want_ to use Lucida Console as a display font under TrueType), and if I can get anywhere, I'll probably take up your offer on fetchmail.

(procmail is far too arcane for me, I must admit)

Rui Carmo