rsh slow during RAS connection

I setup rsh by putting the client's IP in server:/etc/hosts, and the
hostname in server:/etc/hosts.equiv. /etc/hosts is a symlink to
/cygdrive/c/WINNT/system32/drivers/etc/hosts.

Over the LAN , responses take about 1 second.

If I dial into the server using PPP, the response time grows to 50 seconds
or more. The client is still authenticated, but it takes a very long time.

After I close the ppp connection, using rsh over the LAN is really slow.
What's different now? I still have a second IP from the PPP connection.

This makes me think that this is a hostname resolving issue and that when
the server gets a second IP ( 1 ethernet + 1 PPP ), my /etc/hosts solution
gets foiled.

I've used strace to track the client's calls and it typically gets stuck here:

458  995773 [main] rsh 956 cygwin_getservbyname: A0112E0 = getservbyname (shell, tcp)

Can anyone offer insight on how to setup name resolutions to avoid this or
how to hot-wire rshd?

Thanks

Mike