What is done to my computer during setup? basic configuration stuff

hey,
	have installed the cygwin distrobution on a network drive and I am using
xfree86/cygwin to connect to xdm on a few machines around our network.
I have a batch file which sets up paths then executes XWin

XWin sits there for about 4 seconds then dies wit no output or error
messages.

but if I run the same batch file on a machine that has had the installer run
( and installed on the local
drive not the network) it runs without a problem

What kinda of things are set during the install that would make it not work
on an untouched machine?

Adam