Re: GCC-3.1/Cygwin

I'm just going through it now as it happens, here's a blow by blow set of
instructions:

1> cd /usr/src        # make the directory if it doesn't exist
2> cvs -z 9 -d :pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/gcc login
3> press the return key for the password
4> cvs -z 9 -d :pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/gcc co -r
gcc-3_1-branch -d gcc-3_1

you should see a list of files as it grabs all the latest versions (if the
server isn't too busy, if it is you may have to try again)

once it has finished with no errors:

5> mkdir gcc-build-3_1
6> cd gcc-build-3_1
7> ../gcc-3_1/configure

make sure the configuration completes with no error.

8> make bootstrap

Make sure it completes with no error. (takes a while!)

Now you have to remove the previous installation, especially if you
installed gcc 3.0.x, go to the /usr/local/include directory if it exists...
if there is a g++-v3 directory in there: type  "mv g++-v3 g++-v3.old" to
move it out of the way and prevent conflicts. (I got some weird stuff
happening on my system)

9> make install
10> g++ --version

This should display "v3.1 beta, Free software is not guaranteed to compile
any code whatsoever".. or something along those lines ;-)

Regards

Q-Games, Dylan Cuthbert.
http://www.q-games.com/personal/utils