Re: proprietary-use license?

IANAL but I'm not sure this response covers all the important aspects of the
general question posed.  I'd recommend looking at
http://cygwin.com/licensing.html to determine if your intended use of Cygwin
requires a commercial license from Red Hat.  However, if your application
will be licensed under the GNU Public License or suitable open-source license,
then there is no charge for the use of the Cygwin DLL, which I believe is the
impetus behind Markus's response.