Re: IO Redirection

Robert,

[ Yes, Bjoern, this is OT for the Cygwin list as it's all about shell usage and not at all Cygwin specific. ]

You're using BASH, Robert. Except for the simple ">" and ">>" redirection, it's syntax is different from that of TCSH. Bjoern's answer was for TCSH.

I'm a BASH user, so I'll answer for that shell.

# Simple redirection of standard output only, overwriting existing file, if any:
% echo "foo is bar" >fbfile

# Appending redirection
% echo "foo is more bar" >>fbfile

# Redirect standard error only
% command-that-generates-error-output arg1 arg2 2>error-output

# Redirect standard output and standard error separately
% command arg >stdout 2>stderr

# Merge standard error with standard output
#   Order of redirection operators IS significant
% command arg1 arg2 >merged-output 2>&1

All the output redirections can be doubled for appending, but that does not apply to the descriptor merging forms (e.g., 2>&1, which means merge descriptor 2 with the current descriptor 1 and works for any number greater than 0).

Good luck. Get a good tutorial that covers BASH.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA