Re: is anyone able to successfully use make/grep from within xemacs/c ygwin?

    Patrick> Ever since upgrading from cygwin 1.3.2 (quite a few months ago),
    Patrick> I have had a lot of difficulty with running subprocesses for
    Patrick> make and grep from within xemacs.  At first they would fail
    Patrick> only sometimes, but since upgrading to more recent versions of
    Patrick> cygwin, they fail almost every time.

    Patrick> When I launch a make within xemacs (via M-x compile), the
    Patrick> subprocess almost always hangs.  The output buffer shows

    Patrick>     cd /wherever/.../
    Patrick>     make -k

    Patrick> and that's it.  Doing a kill-compilation sometimes has no
    Patrick> effect, and I have to so it several times to actually kill
    Patrick> the subprocess.

    Patrick> When I launch a grep (via M-x grep), the problem is slightly
    Patrick> different.  The subprocess always completes, but often does
    Patrick> not produce any matches in the output buffer even when there
    Patrick> are definitely matches.  Sometimes it works fine.

As a matter of fact, I just started noticing the same "grep" behavior you're
seeing.  I recently upgraded from 1.3.(something) to 1.3.10.  I am often seeing
the grep process complete without matching anything, although when I rerun the
exact command again, it gives me valid output.

I'm also on XEmacs/Cygwin 21.4.6 on win2k.  I haven't noticed the same symptom
with "compile", as I haven't used that in a while (I've been "ant"ing directly
in a shell buffer).