Re: C++ link errors using gcc from cvs

On Sunday 17 March 2002 20:34, Christopher Currie wrote:
> I recently installed gcc from cvs, since I understand people have had
> success with it, pretty much out of the box. I'm getting link errors
> compiling trival C++ programs, with both my local g++ and the Cygwin
> standard g++. I can overcome these errors if I explicitly link the right
> copy of libstdc++.a into the application, as demonstrated in the examples
> below.
>
> Can gcc 2.95 and gcc 3.x not coexist? I'm guessing it's either that or I
> installed gcc incorrectly somehow, but I'm not sure where I went wrong. Any
> help or direction would be appreciated.
>
> Christopher

I thought everyone recognized that mixing c++ libraries between gcc-3.1 and
gcc-2.95 was even less likely to work than between gcc-3.0x and 2.95.  Even
the use of 2.95 with non-default stack alignment is enough to break the
libraries which come with it, and commercial compilers which aim at a degree
of gcc compatibility don't try to mix libraries.  Yes, it's easy to break the
cygwin g++/g77 installation by a parallel installation of gcc-3.1, even with
the best of intentions, but each compiler should default to its own copy of
libstdc++, if you install them normally in separate directories.
--
Tim Prince