Re: CYGWIN variable: impact of options under Win9x

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 07:22:28AM +0000, Soren Andersen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am hoping that I'll get some helpful hints by posting this. I've been
> running Cygwin under Win98SE for months now without the CYGWIN env
> variable set in Windows at all. I have FAT and FAT32 partitions. My
> mounts are all binmode. Now I am looking at setting CYGWIN thus:
>
> SET CYGWIN=export noenvcache glob:ignorecase title nostrip_title
> winsymlinks tty
>
> What sort of surprises or changes in behavior (that I might not have
> realized were changeable behavior, i.e. things that I'd not taken heed
> of until now) might I experience?
>
> Since this is the Cygwin List rather than another and its character is
> what it is, I'll type out explicitly that: I am posting this because I
> have a feeling of less than perfect comprehension of the uses and
> ramifications of the parameters to CYGWIN, even after reading
> http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html.

A refinement of your question would be nice.  I can't believe that
you don't understand *all* of the above options.  Which one are you
unsure about?  The only dangerous one AFAICS is 'tty' which changes
the way the console is handled.  Impact is that native Win32 console
apps could show some surprising effects.

> I am also keen on assuring myself that not mentioning "ntea" or "ntsec"
> is fine; that those options would do nothing under Win98 anyway, and

These are NT options.  Forget them on 9x/Me.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.