Re: OT: possible project/research project

Robert,

This idea isn't really new. I remember people talking about it back in the
System 6, System 7 and 32v days, when programs were starting to get bigger,
disks were still pretty slow, main store rather small and there was not yet
a copy-on-write fork(2) or a vfork(2). (Not to mention the meager control
flow in the pre-Bourne shell that used a sub-process to effect a seek(2) on
the standard input being interpreted by the shell running the script!!!)

The problem is that you're creating a huge project that creates no new
functionality and that has horrendous maintainence issues, as you say.

The library conversion idea is kind of a throwback to pre-Unix days or to
systems like VMS (if I recall and understand it properly). In these systems
there were "blessed" commands understood by the command interpreter and
endowed with a more direct means of invocation. Other commands required
full sub-process creation.

I trust it's your intent that the user will see no obvious differences in
invoking these programs, but you may find full transparency harder to
achieve than you expect. Will the full range of shell features be available
to these specially integrated commands? Will you be able to pipe into and
out of them? Will they work within parentheses? In procedures? Will you
allow all shell features (pipes, say) are applied to arbitrary combinations
of conventional and integrated commands?

In your example of a `backquote command` (which I prefer to invoke via $(
... ) using BASH) you'd be exposed to any unintended side-effects within
the backquote command. Side-effects like file descriptor alterations,
changes in signal dispositions, receipt of signals or exceptions (expected
or the result of a programming error).

The beauty of the fork/exec model with entirely separated programs _is_
their self-containedness and the complete independence and isolation each
of the programs gets from each other and from the program(s) that invoke
them. It is also nice in that it is a very simple programming model for
commands, both built-in and end-user-supplied, that run within it. It is
probably less platform-specific than a scheme that demands use of
dynamically-linked / shared libraries.

The Unix shell and process model may be somewhat costly of computing
resources (but only marginally so), especially as I said without
copy-on-write behavior in the fork call, but that rather modest down-side
is more than made up for by independence, modularity, and open-endedness of
the scheme.

I can't see how all the work your idea implies just for the sake of some
incremental performance improvements is going to be worthwhile.

By the way, which shell will you do this for? BASH, TCSH, Ash? More than one?

Please feel free to prove me wrong, of course.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA