Re: Setup.exe release-candidate

scowles@earthlink.net:
 > When using the setup-snapshot setup-20020315.exe for
 > "install from local directory", I get multiple "Can't open
 > (null) for reading" errors.

I'm getting the same thing with the setup.exe downloaded from
http://cygwin.com/setup.exe tonight. At a guess, I'd say I got the
message about 30-40 times. Note that, unlike scowles' experience,
setup just kept right on running after I clicked OK each time. At
the end of the setup run, I was able to run bash and it worked fine
(lightly tested).

I searched google and the cygwin archives, using various ways
of combining keywords from the message, always including
'(null)'. All I found was scowles' message, which s/he posted
just a few days ago. So I'm guessing it is something to do with
a recent change to the cygwin setup.exe.

I'm running W2K, SP2 hosted by vmware, hosted by RH Linux 7.2.

Toward the end of the install process, I encountered 4 or 5
messages about a missing DLL in an error dialog, the title of
which was, in at least some cases, "pdfetex":

    The dynamic link library cygtiff3.dll could not be found in the
     specified path:

      C:\cygwin\bin;.;C:\WINNT\System32;C:\WINNT\System;
      C:\WINNT;C:\cygwin\bin;C:\cygwin\bin;.;c:\cygwin

Note the 3 copies in the path of C:\cygwin\bin and two copies of
just a dot. When I looked in bash after the setup completed, the
path looked fine, so the path in the error message is presumably
something that exists just during the setup process.

At the end of the setup it noted that setup was incomplete and
referred me to the log. However, all the log info was from the
time I downloaded files to the local machine a couple nights
ago, and there were no error messages, so I don't think it
would be helpful.

--
ralph