Re[2]: Anonymous ftp on 1.3.9

Hello Andrew,

Saturday, March 23, 2002, 1:17:02 AM, you wrote:

[snip]

AD> Now to get it working on my home PC where there is no domain controller.
AD> This is on Windows XP.

>> I've
>> determined that creating a user without a password to be used by
>> ftpd doesnt work on WinXP (maybe others too but I dont have access to test).
>> Or much better would be to say - a user without a pass cannot log in
>> into ftpd on WinXP Home. I can reproduce this behaviours each time...

AD> Funny my experience is the opposite. I turned on the Guest account then
AD> edited my /etc/passwd to change "Guest" to "ftp" in the username field
AD> only and set the home directory to point to my FTP area. At this point
AD> "Guest" does not have a password. Anonymous ftp works but then again so
AD> does a telnet as user ftp without a password! Funny thing is that
AD> anonymous ftp does not show the contents of my FTP area while telneting
AD> in as ftp does!

Guest is some kind of special beast - try with a freshly created user
which has no password. Try to login via ftp using this account -
you'll see (maybe) what I mean.

AD> Now if I put a password on the Guest account then telneting in as ftp
AD> requires that password. But now anonymous ftping doesn't!

ftpd knows anonymous is guest and passes to the API LogonUser an empty
password... Still I dont know what happens when you telnet - I've
played just with ftpd.

AD> Any ideas? I want to set up anonymous ftp but I don't want to leave
AD> myself wide open to do so.

Well its written in the README - you have to use account with an empty
pass :) Can't help...

>> PT> I got the sources for inetutils and I'm going to debug it this night.
>>
>> Well, I did ... I learned many things :) i.e. the little secret about
>> /etc/passwd and /etc/group for exmaple :) (Yes, this is not in the
>> FAQ!)

AD> And what might that be?

The must be word readable - I dont see it anywhere in the README...
Though I know this from the mailing list..