Your (Our) Problem

I am having a similar problem to what you describe, and I think it is the
same as a
thread from earlier in the weekend about gcc and perl etc. not installing.

On my home machine, I tried many times to get gcc to install from the new
setup
(install over the internet anyway).  Each time I got the same incomplete
installation
message.  The log file by the way, at least for me, was down in my regular
Cygwin
directories.  I did not see anything in there of the nature of "this did not
work". Each
time I would try again to install, gcc would be marked as "skip".  There
would be
no "uninstall" option either, just skip or install.

One additional point.  When I would perform gcc -v, it would pull up my
secondary
install of gcc-3.0.4, and doing

which g++

yields the version in /usr/local/bin, which is again, the gcc-3.0.4.

It may be that having the secondary install of gcc is causing a problem for
the
new version of setup.  In which case the problem is not the fault of setup,
but mine.

There did appear to be an unofficial looking consensus on a thread this
weekend
that some of the problems in this area could be fixed by downloading the
distribution to the local drive, then using an older version of setup to do
the
install. I have not tried this.

Wayne Keen