.bashrc not getting sourced?

I just did a recent brand new install yesterday and I noticed that /etc/profile no longer contains a line like:

	test -f ./.bashrc && . ./.bashrc

It took me a second to figure out why .bashrc wasn't getting read (I thought it happened automatically by the shell) until I compared it to an older "working" cygwin install.

Is there a specific reason for that missing line in /etc/profile, or could it have been an oversight?  I did notice that my redhat 7 system's /etc/profile doesn't seem to include such a line.
-rgm