Re: permission problem after installation under W2K

Ulrich,

Check out my response on the "tar won't restore permissions" thread
(<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-04/msg00473.html>) for notes on setting
CYGWIN to include ntsec.

CYGWIN must be set before _any_ Cygwin application starts up, because it's
only during the DLL initialization that "ntsec" in $CYGWIN is effective.

There's another possibility, though it seems like a long shot. Under Unix
systems, directories are not usable as such without suitable execute bits
(the kernel won't scan them for any lookup purposes, whether to find a
target, check for a pre-existing name that is to be created or to traverse
on the way to an ultimate target deeper in the hierarchy).

It appears by cursory empirical testing, that Cygwin emulates a bit of this
behavior. A directory (on NTFS with "ntsec" active) without any execute
bits seems to function normally with one exception: It cannot become the
current directory:

% # Create and populate "tstDir"
%
% chmod 666 tstDir
%
% ls -ld tstDir
drw-rw-rw-    3 RSchulz  None         4096 Apr  9 06:38 tstDir/
%
% ls -l tstDir
... [ normal ls output ] ...
%
% cd tstDir
bash: cd: tstDir: Permission denied
%
% # Same results with sh/ash and tcsh
%
% mkdir tstDir/newDir
% # Succeeds
%
% # Other tst of file names beginning with tstDir/ succeed

So... You might want to check and make sure that your "/home" has execute
permissions.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA