Re: Cygwin 1.3.10 Setup.exe 2.194.2.22 Install Problems With MSVCRT.DLL and source code on Win98

> Two major problems (summary):
>
> 1. Setup.exe (2.194.2.22) ends with a invalid page fault against MSVCRT.DLL
> (details below) on my Windows 98 machine, before complely fininshing the
> install.

Your copy of MSVCRT.DLL may be out of date.  The one originally issued with
W98 is likely to be too old and buggy to run newer executables correctly.

Many (non-MS) products and downloads include a compatible version of
MSVCRT.DLL, and their installer autmatically installs it if it's
newer than the current one; thus on most machines MSVCRT.DLL gets
updated without you ever being aware of it.  [This also has a downside -
I believe MS (or the product supplier) have on occasion issued a MSVCRT
with bugs or with an incorrect version number, so your system may get stuck
with a bad copy.]

Anyway, it's worth trying to update your MSVCRT.DLL.  My current version
is 6.10.8637.0 and I have no setup crashes.

You can get an update here:

  http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/WURecommended/S_WUServicePacks/MFCLibrary/Default.asp

> 2. I cannot install source files for any packages (using same setup.exe).
> When installing source code, I get "Can't open (null) for reading: No such
> file" error.

I see this problem when I ask to install packages which haven't been downloaded.
So it looks as though your install run is not finding the files that were
previously downloaded into your local directory.  I suppose this could be
a MSVCRT problem too.

Re your more detailed questions - yes, setup should run the post-install
stuff and write a log file on W98 too.  The crash is presumably preventing
this.  If it doesn't run, Cygwin can be used but you may need to check
a few things:

- Your startup script (cygwin.bat)may not be correct. It should be like this:
    @echo off
    C:
    chdir C:\cygwin\bin
    bash --login -i

- Check your mounts using the mount command
- Generate your /etc/passwd file

Cliff.