Re: lpr problem (was: Re: FW: Can you offer enscript.cfg file for cygwin?)

I'll spend a little time and try to fix it up. Generally, lpr has worked for my
original intent, but when I wrote it, I never intended to publish it. I posted
the source a year or two ago in respose to someone's printing question, and was
very surprised when Chuck asked for permission to include it in cygutils.

I started down a path of adding some features to it a few months ago, then
found out that the Windows printer API didn't support what I was trying to do
in the way I was trying to do it. I was trying to add support for duplex
printing, different paper sizes, et. al., and found out that since lpr wasn't
actually rendering the page, but rather just dumping raw data formatted by
another program (e.g., enscript), I couldn't use those features if the Windows
printer interface. Instead, I would have to have a database of printer commands
for any printer I wanted to support and send the raw commands. I wasn't sure
that level of effort was worth persuing.

Anyway, I generally use a network printer by adding to my local list and giving
it a name such as HPLJ8000-PS, then set my PRINTER environment variable to that
value. So far, that has worked well for me.

As I said, I'll spend some time over the next few days and see if I can fix up
the code a bit and add support for using '/'s in network printer names. Who
knows, I may even generate a man page ;-)

Apparently, I've missed some past discussions of lpr. I'll peruse the mailing
list archives to see if I can find a list of other complaints or problems. If
anyone knows of other issues off the top of your head, send them to me and I'll
try to address them.

--Rick