Re: setup 2.194.2.24: Bug (?) in downloading from internet

On Sun, 28 Apr 2002 18:30:00 -0400 Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 06:07:12PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:

> If you're on the other end of a slow connection and are apt to be
> disconnected every couple of hours, you will *never* be able to do a
> complete install since the setup.exe will start from scratch every time
> you reconnect.  It doesn't matter if you chose "download from internet"
> or
> not since setup.exe will only consider what's installed when considering
> what to download.  That just seems like a bug to me.

That's what the discussion has been about for the last week or so.  After
lots of requests for this functionality, the position eventually hardened
to "it's not a download tool".

> If I have this right then even removing download from internet does not
> eliminate this problem.

That depends on how capable wget or rsync is.  I have not looked into it
but if we do remove the download only function from setup.exe, we (me?)
should probably add something under cygwin.com describing how to mirror
selected packages.

> So, I think the right answer to this is the standard one "patches
> gratefully accepted".

If download handling is going to change, at least Robert will have to buy
into it.  A request for patches can follow that.

--
Mac :})
Ask Smarter: http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html