Re: Manual setup of cygwin (how to set cygwin dir as root dir)

On Mon, 06 May 2002 22:24:42 -0400 "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <lhall@rfk.com> wrote:

> At 09:17 AM 5/7/2002, Sukhwinder Singh wrote:

> >     I am using Windows 95 OS and microsoft client etc. is not installed.
> >So I am the single (default) user who uses this computer(I don't see that
> >login screen). So there is no home directory etc.
> >
> >I tried to use setup to download cygwin but setup failed after downloading
> >the setup.ini file. So, I had to download files myself one by one. I  have
> >extracted all these files to d:\c\cygwin folder. Many scripts refer /bin/sh
> >but bash is unable to find /bin/sh because bin is not in the root drive but
> >inside d:\c\cygwin\bin.
>. . .
> In terms of your current approach, I don't know what you're using to
> extract the contents of the files you download but your best bet is to
> extract the Cygwin package, followed by ash, and then tar.  Once you've
> done that, mount your 'd:\c\cygwin\' as '/'.  You can then mount your
> usr/bin directory as '/bin', and usr/lib as '/lib'.  This will give you
> the typical mounts that setup creates and allow you to put /bin in your
> path to get all the executables you need.  Use the Cygwin tar after that
> to extract other packages.  It may even be worthwhile to use this as the
> bootstrap for a whole new installation directory, since this will understand
> all the Cygwin value-added functionality which your current extract process/
> tools probably don't.

Alternatively, you can get off the manual install route by deleting
the directories where you've extracted everything in (d:\c\cygwin\),
downloading setup.ini and setup.exe to the base directory of the tree where
you downloaded the package archive files (hopefully somewhere outside
c:\cygwin\bin\) and running setup.exe.

If you "Install from Local Directory" setup.exe will take care of
everything it normally does and you will be able to ask this list for help
in good conscience.  It will also allow you to use setup.exe for
incremental updates of your Cygwin environment.

--
Mac :})
Ask Smarter: http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html