Statically linking and some other problems.

I just recently discovered cygwin and I have to say that I think it is a
great product, I have ported many of the applications that
I wrote for linux for use with cygwin and everything worked quite well.

I have a dilemma right now that I canīt seem to get passed in an easy way.
I have a program that I am writing for work(I work in penetration testing)
and this program is a program that I always intented for use in
windows/msdos but I wrote in Linux because of my background in developing
on that system. The program has about 3000 lines of code and is quite
small. The program does a variety of things like collecting information
about the computer, uname(), it has non-blocking tcp port scanner and uses
sockets a great deal. It didnīt not take a long time to get this program
working with cygwin but when I was going to run the
program on a different box I was faced with the problem that I was not
able to statically link cygwin1.dll to the executable I was compiling.

This causes a huge problem to my program because it cannot be dependant on
a .dll like cygwin because of itīs nature. The program is designed to
collect information about machines that get penetrated and contact hq with
the information. I just canīt send along a .dll file with the .exe.
Anyways there are more reasons for me not being able to use the .dll but
this is closely related to my work and please belive me that it wont be
possible for this program. Anyways  I read the documentation on cygwin and
discovered that I cannot statically link it because this feature was not
added and not desired by the cygwin development team. therefore I followed
some advice given on the mailing list to use mingw.

Now that I am using mingw I am totally stuck. I use connect(), etc etc
which dont seem to be compatible with this msvcrt.dll that is used for
mingw(the reason I can use msvcrt.dll is because it is already located on
most machines). So I am stuck and I dont have a clue what to do and I read
information from the mingw webpage but couldnīt find any really usefull
information. So my question to the cygwin list here is whether anyone can
give me some information about documentation or assistance that can assist
a unix geek that is trying to port to windows, I am happy to be using
mingw because it seems it might decrease the time spent on the project and
so information about programming with this msvcrt.dll would be extremely
helpfull. I really dont think I need anything except maybe socket
information and stuff like that.

Thanks alot,

Theodor R. Gislason