Re: gcc 3

--- Keen Wayne A Contr AFRL/MNGG <keenwa@eglin.af.mil> wrote:
> I forgot to mention, with gcc-3.1, you have the option of doing
> optimization
> for the pentium 4, stuff like
>
> -march=pentium4

Don't forget -march=athlon ;).

> This helps for some applications of that platform.
>
> By the way though, when I build c, c++ and f77, my make bootstrap takes
> about 50 minutes,
> and that is with a P3 - 1.113 GHz Pentium.  It is about the same on a
> dual 2
> Ghz Xeon.
> It is about 35 minutes on a 2.2GHz Pentium 4 Dell.  Configure and make
> install only take
> a couple of minutes though. Don't ask about my home machine, a 400 MHz
> P2.
> Just
> say...overnight!

Has anyone attempted to compile gcj and libgcj recently?  I'd like to know
if any hope for support of that in cygwin has progressed.  Most annoying
is the fact that the gcc-3.1 results pages shows someone was able to get
gcj support compiled.  Yes I know there was deiscussion of this in the
past, but the information is terribly outdated and of no use.  Anyone get
it to work in the most recent builds?  Also, any success with objc/libobjc
(recently)?  Any bold people trying out gcc-3.2 (bleeding edge)?

Cheers,
Nicholas