Re: sound emulation /dev/dsp

At 12:31 PM 6/4/2002, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

>> > /dev/dsp only supports opening with O_WRONLY currently.  So your
>> > open() fails due to the unsupported access mode O_RDWR.
>> >
>> > Unfortunately, errno isn't set to EACCES.  I've fixed that for the
>> > next version.
>> >
>> > Thanks for the report,
>> > Corinna
>> nice - you made this sound support?
>
>No, I didn't.  The original author for some reason disappeared
>w/o further notice.  We're just trying to avoid bit rot but
>nobody in the current developer group is actively working or
>even maintaining the dsp code.
>
>> if fullduplex won't be supported - could you just point me to docs about
>> sound-related windoze calls.
>
>Sorry, I'm a multimedia disabled person.  Somebody else will have
>to step in here.  OTOH, discussing basic Windows sound support is
>somewhat off-topic here...

Right.  I suggest going to msdn.microsoft.com and looking at the docs
available in the MSDN library.  That, perhaps coupled with the code
that implements /dev/dsp in Cygwin should be enough to get one started
on the basics of sound support.  But let's keep any further discussion of
this subject here Cygwin specific, OK?

BTW, I'm not directing my reply at Corinna, in case it's not clear. ;-)