how to debug <Apache module> with <gdb>

Hi,

I tried to use gdb to debug an Apache module on cygwin on WinXP.

The Apache version is 1.3.24-5 for Cygwin (not the Window native port version)
The Cygwin.dll 1.3.10
The gdb is 20020411-1

I have to compile the Apache using static linking, otherwise gdb complains when
I try to set a break point, the error says

  Cannot access memory at xxxxxxxxx

When compile Apache using static linking, I am able to set the break point.
However if I try
gdb> r -X      // with single process mode
The gdb just hangs and won't allow me to do anything further

If I don't use -X then the Apache will create some child process and exits.

So how can I debug the module? Anyone has experience?

Thanks

HS