Re: 1.3.10: ttyslot dying, Windows 2000 Server

At 01:22 PM 6/14/2002, Len Giambrone wrote:

>I run a combination of long perl (ActiveState perl, not cygwin perl), and bash
>scripts to do many sundry things including downloading files, untarring files,
>etc.
>
>After things are finished, I try to do some cleanup.
>
>About 30% of the time, the system hangs at 100% CPU, and I notice that
>drwtsn32.exe is running (Just in Time Debugging is enabled).  My scripts are
>attempting to rm a file, but the file is currently opened by drwtsn32, so it
>spins forever until I kill it.
>
>When I use drwtsn32 to look at what caused the crash, it tells me that
>"ttyslot" is the culprit.  By looking at logs, it's clear that ttyslot is
>dying in a variety of standard unix programs, like md5sum, tar, etc.

What's ttyslot?  Answering this and understanding more about it might help
you solve your problem.  It's clear this isn't a Cygwin problem per-se
because a search of http://cygwin.com/packages/ for ttyslot turns up nothing.
I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to understand why this indicates
it's not a Cygwin issue. ;-)

<snip>

>        c:\WINNT
>        c:\perl\bin
>        c:\bin
>        c:\contrib\bin
>        c:\WINNT\System32\Wbem
>        c:\perl\bin
>        c:\ntreskit

       ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Here's a likely problem.  Cygwin binaries must be first in the path when
running Cygwin binaries (at least).

>        c:\usr\local\akamai\bin
>        c:\usr\local\akamai\lib
>        c:\sbin
>        c:\usr\bin
>        c:\WINNT\System32\Wbem
>        c:\PROGRA~1\DIALOGIC\bin
>        c:\bin
>        c:\root\bin
>        c:\usr\local\bin
>        c:\root\bin
>        c:\usr\local\bin

<snip>

>a:  fd           N/A    N/A
>c:  hd  NTFS   17500Mb  63% CP CS UN PA FC
>e:  cd           N/A    N/A
>
>.     /cygdrive  user    textmode,noumount
>c:    /          system  binmode

Oops!  You didn't install with setup.exe!  Thirty lashes with a
wet noodle!

Sorry, you're now banned from this list... ;-)

Seriously though, your installation is obviously non-standard.  This list
discourages questions from those with a non-standard installation, at least
if the poster cannot prove that their problem is not configuration dependent.
So, you should either wipe your current installation and reinstall with
setup.exe or prove to us that your problem is Cygwin-related.  Otherwise, I'm
afraid this is OT for this list.