RE: setup.exe -- ver 2.249.2.2 failure

Well, that's your choice. I can't say that it helps us develop setup
though.

> (a) it seems frankly not too difficult to
> do the wrong
> thing and

Quite possibly. Or at least, *I'm* not doing the *same thing* you have
been.

> (b) all too easy to follow a not obviously stupid
> sequence of
> button clicks that does, indeed, produce the horrid trio of  "Download
> incomplete..." followed by "Can't open (null) ..." followed
> by "Installation
> incomplete. Check /setup.log.full ...".

I'm pretty sure we have addressed all but the download incomplete issue.

> (This list is not exhaustive: also one might want just to
> download files to
> burn a CD;

Use a mirroring tool.

> or one might want to augment rather than just
> update an existing
> installation;

I don't understand how this is different to update. I routinely
add/remove/update packages from my install with setup.exe.

> Assuming a user wanted to do any of these from the net, then
> at the first
> option fork one would choose "Install from Internet" ... proceeding
> eventually to the window that displays as "Select Packages: select the
> packages you want setup to install". Here's where the fun
> begins, mainly
> because it's not obvious (to me, anyway) which of each of (1)

1) Is a virtual thing, it doesn't really make sense to me, never has,
but I put it in in an attempt to satisfy an apparent user demand. It's a
special case of 2) and 3).
2) Is a special case of 3)
3) Is all that setup knows to do. It automatially selects updates to any
installed packages, automatically chooses to install anything in 'base'
or 'misc'.

> to (3) above
> requires "Default" and which "Install". Certainly if I want
> to follow (3)
> having started with (1) (i.e. I want to maintain a full
> installation as
> up-to-date as possible) then "Install" is a no-no,
> because I end up with the
> tooth-pulverising offer of setup*src* which is a sure sign of horrid
> messages to follow.

I repeat ... for the nth time ... I can install and reinstall setup*src*
as many times as I want, with a new cache, or a full cache, with no
errors. I haven't tried the exact click recipe the earlier poster
provided yet - and you can be sure that IF I can reproduce the bug it
will get addressed. HOWEVER, may I point out that repeating your
frustration with that particular 'feature' is rapidly exhausting MY
patience, and unless you intend to fix the bug yourself, you might like
to focus on providing NEW information.

> Q1. So, please could somebody explain in the context of "Uninstall,
> Reinstall, Install" (3 nice verbs) what "Default" actually
> means (what part
> of speech is it?) and when to use it and when something else
> for (1) to (3)
> above?

Default means to follow the default behaviour appropriate for that
package, based on any heuristics present in cygwin. It may mean
installing it, or ignoring it. Currently, due to policy, it does not
ever mean reinstall or uninstall. In the future it may mean popping up a
conflict resolution window to resolve conflicting packages.

> Q2. Notwithstanding the clarity of any responses to Q1 that this
> communication may generate, it does seem to me that something
> is adrift with
> the logic of setup.exe, and the paths it allows a user to
> follow. What, for
> instance, is the meaning of 'Default/ Install/ Uninstall/
> Reinstall', all
> four of which are distinguishable and allowed choices, when
> at the start of
> the sequence a user has chosen simply "Download from Internet"?

Default - Follow the default behaviour for every pacakge.
Install - Toggle the action for every package contained in the current
container to install the current trust level. If the current container
is a leaf node, then just that package.
Uninstall - Toggle the action for every installed package contained in
the current container to uninstall. If the current container is a leaf
node, then just that package.
Reinstall - Toggle the action for every installed package contained in
the current container to Reinstall. If the current container is a leaf
node, then just that package.

Rob