2.5.5: rsync is very very slow

I've been trying to use rsync to do full-system drive mirroring for
backups.  Since I'm copying lots of big files around, I've been
noticing that rsync is an order of magnitude slower on win32 than on
Linux.

On copying a 10MB file between local disks (I'm testing bandwidth, so
I make sure the destination doesn't exist beforehand), rsync under
cygwin is getting about 130K/sec.  Rsync under Linux does a much
snappier 3MB/sec.

Running "netstat" under Windows shows a huge number of loopback
connections (127.0.0.1 to 127.0.0.1), and I'm wondering if the Windows
network interfaces are just very slow.  Is there a way to bypass the
network interface and just do some sort of message-passing?

Right now, rsync is too slow to use for my application, so I'd love to
either get a fix or help to fix it.  If I can profile this and see
what's going on, let me know.

I'm running Win2k SP2, a couple IDE drives, a p3/600, lots and lots of
RAM, current Cygwin release.

mike

p.s. I'm not a subscriber to the list, so please cc: me on any