Re: Lousy setup program defeats users with disabilites.

Nicholas,

Douglas Englebart, usually credited as the inventor of the mouse, also developed a "chording" keyset. By "chording" is meant the use of simultaneous combinations of keys instead of just single keys at a time. Thus without moving your fingers from the 4 or 5 keys, they can produce all the usual letters, numbers, punctuation, etc. One hand stays on the mouse and the other on the chordset. It's more efficient, but people weren't enthusiastic about learning the chording (it seems that nowadays, people don't even bother learning to touch type!), so the chordset was abandoned even though the mouse was retained.

Now, please stop swearing in public, OK?

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

At 16:52 2002-06-18, Nicholas Wourms wrote:

--- Robert Praetorius <RPraetorius@AspenRes.Com> wrote:
> prefer to use keyboard shortcuts, and will probably continue to do so
> until an Engelbart-style chordset ships standard with PCs:-)  I do find

What the $@$! is that!?!?

Cheers,
Nicholas