RE: pipe connection problem in recent cvs release

> "Pavel Tsekov" <ptsekov@syntrex.com> wrote:
> > RH> The strace log is appended. The only unusal behavior I can see,
> is a pipe
> > RH> opening error".
> >
> > RH> 368   43330 [main] echo 2408 transport_layer_pipes::connect:
> Error opening the
> > RH> pipe (2)
> >
> > It looks like you're using cygserver - am I right ?

I haven't started cygserver.

> In the current cygwin setup, you'll get this strace line if you're
> *not* using cygserver, i.e. this is what the code spits out shortly
> after startup when it tries to connect to cygserver and discovers that
> there isn't one running. This is the message for NT; for win 95 et al,
> there's a similar message about a socket connection, something like
> "client connect failure". Now, if you *were* running cygserver and you
> got this message, that's a problem :-)
>
> BTW, the message refers to NT named pipes, not cygwin pipes.

Thanks for this hints.
I've looked again in the strace file , but found only one point for further
analysing and that is, that the echo command does not got any input:

cvs build
     build_argv: argv[0] = 'echo'
     build_argv: argc 1
     normalize_posix_path: src /dev/conin

cygwin 1-3.10
     build_argv: argv[0] = 'echo'
     build_argv: argv[1] = 'habacker'
     build_argv: argc 2

The next check was the influence of the shell, so I tried to avoid a subshell

$exec echo `basename $PWD`
habacker

Okay, the result is printed as expected, so basename seems to work, but after
printing the line the bash window was closed immediatly. The same behavior with
cygwin 1.3.10

Then I tried to use another application to see, if the problem is in basename:

echo `ls $PWD`
CVS Desktop Mail bzip2.strace calendar.html ....

it works.

Trying

$ exec echo `ls $PWD`
CVS Desktop Mail bzip2.strace calendar.html ....

the result is okay, but bash was immediatly closed.

Okay, another try:

habacker@BRAMSCHE ~
$ sh -c "exec echo `ls $PWD`"
CVS

habacker@BRAMSCHE ~
$ bash -c "exec echo `ls $PWD`"
CVS

.. oh, there should be more results , but at least it does not let sh/bash
crashing.

No I'm completly confused. Does anyone an idea, where to look now ?

Ralf