Executing commands is VERY slow when logged into an NT domain....

I installed the latest stuff from cygwin on my new laptop last
night.  I've had the cygwin stuff running nicely on my NT4 box
at work.   The laptop is XP Pro.  I usually log into my domain
"CREST" even when at home, although I don't always have the VPN
connection up.  (i.e. it's using cached permissions).

After firing of bash, any command I try and execute (ls, cat)
has a large pregnant pause before it runs.  I know I don't have
any of the oldstyle //c entries in my path.  If I run a regular
oldstyle Command Prompt, go to the /cygwin/bin directory, the
commands run quickly, as expected.

If I log in as LAPTOP\erich instead of CREST\erich, bash and all
the commands work beautifully.

I therefore assume the problem is somewhere in the fork() part of
bash, and its interaction with a domain user.  I've perused the
postings I can find on mkpasswd, I'm not sure if that's the avenue
I need to persue to get this to work.

Any clues?