Re: Executing commands is VERY slow when logged into an NT domain....

--- Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 10:36:19PM -0700, Rick Rankin wrote:
> >
> >--- Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> wrote:
> >> Out of curiousity, does mounting your /bin and /usr/bin directories with
> the
> >> -X
> >> option "fix" anything?
> >>
> >> mount -f -b -X c:/cygwin/bin /bin
> >> mount -f -b -X c:/cygwin/bin /usr/bin
> >>
> >> where c:\cygwin is the location of your root, of course.
> >
> >It turns out that the -X option does help quite a bit. Here are some rough
> >results based on using a stopwatch to time the interval from when I
> >double-click the bash icon on my desktop until I see a prompt:
> >
> >20020626 snapshot,   no -X: 25.2 sec
> >20020626 snapshot, with -X:  6.7 sec
> >1.3.10-1,            no -X:  2.1 sec
> >
> >I didn't retry the 0625 snapshot, but it ran about the same speed without
> the
> >-X option.
> >
> >Does that narrow things down any?
>
> Some, but it is still mystifying.  I would have expected -X to actually
> completely
> mask the problem.  There are some more changes in CVS.  I'll regen a snapshot
> as
> soon as Corinna checks in her latest change.

Here's some more timeing results with the 20020627 snapshot that I just
downloaded at about 7:00 PM MST (in case there was more that one incarnation of
the 0627 snapshot). There's not much difference:

20020627 snapshot,   no -X: 24.8 sec
20020627 snapshot, with -X:  6.7 sec

FWIW, I have a small app called NetSpeed that sits in the system tray and
measures network throughput. The icon in the tray is active and gives a good
indication of network activity levels. When I start bash (or any command from
bash), NetSpeed indicates that there is definitely an amount of network
activity occurring with the 1.3.11 dlls that doesn't occur with 1.3.10. This
would seem to confirm the theory that the 1.3.11 dll is trying to contact the
domain controller. Also, task manager shows that there is no significant CPU
activity during this time, which there wouldn't be if it's blocked waiting for
a response.

--Rick