This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
not a bug; just a suggestion
- From: Andrew MacGinitie <amacginitie at earthlink dot net>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 16:04:24 -0400
- Subject: not a bug; just a suggestion
I have access to an internet connection on a different
machine than where I want to install Cygwin; I do not have
access on that target machine. It seems to me that one of
your web pages (http://cygwin.com/download.html) calls me a
masochist because of that. I suggest you may want to
replace that aspersion with simple instructions that would
1. get setup.exe off the web.
2. get the files needed by setup.exe in a zip, gz, or tar
file off the web
3. sneakernet (CDRW, anyone?) to my other system, place the
files (& maybe untar, unzip, etc.)
4. run setup, & point to the local files
That's not really masochism, I claim. And how much trouble
would it be, really, to use a program like WinZip to package
the necessary files, thereby solving the chicken/egg problem
for anyone who has WinZip (most Windoze users, I think)?
Surely there are equivalent free software solutions as well,
if it's a question of philosophy (lha comes to mind).
Anyway, just a suggestion. But maybe you'd rather not have
any atypical users (or just users like me).
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting: http://cygwin.com/bugs.html