Solved: Weird CVS problem - can't find module in local replica of cygwin-apps-cvs - can anyone help?

Max Bowsher wrote:
> Hi - I rsync the cygwin-apps-cvs repository, because then I can do
> cvs diffs, and recall different revisions, etc., whilst offline.
> Mostly stuff works, but CVS seems to ignore the CVSROOT/modules file -
> i.e. I can only check out modules by specifiying their path within
> the repository, not their module name.
>
> Weirdly, this works ok on an simple local repository containing only
> 1 file that I created to use as a simpler testcase. If anyone can
> comment in any way, please do. Unfortunately, cvs -t does not show
> enough info to be any help.
>
> Max.

Replying to my own message, after much fiddling, I tracked down the problem. It
turns out that sources.redhat.com is running cvs with cvs's myndbm (dbm
interface to a flat file) db code, whereas cygwin cvs is built to use gdbm. This
meant that Cygwin cvs was looking for a modules.db file, that of course, did not
exist.

The solution was to back out some of the Cygwin patches, so that my local cvs
was also using myndbm db access.

Hope this helps anyone else doing similar stuff.

Max.