Re: Home directories with spaces (was: Re: Mysterious gdb behavior.)

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 10:00:41PM -0400, Paul Derbyshire wrote:
>> You know it's a pity that you didn't actually try that instead of
>> blindly speculating on what it would come up with. If you searched
>> google for
>>
>> home directories with spaces in them cygwin
>>
>> you would have found several hits. The third hit is the Cygwin FAQ which
>> tells you exactly what to do. Imagine that.
>
>Wait a minute, we were talking about searching the mailing list
>archives, not Google. Also, there are so many ways to phrase that
>that a priori I'd have no reason to expect any one phrasing to work,
>and I can't be bothered to try every permutation.

Hmm.  Given that there are thousands of people reading this mailing list
you could expect many replies.  There is no way of knowing which of
them would be correct.  Sounds like it is not worth your time to be
asking questions either.

Although, I suspect your real reason for not using Google is that you
can't argue with Google.  Or maybe you find that you are winning all
of your arguments with Google and are looking for a challenge.

>Lastly, the Cygwin FAQ I have locally mentions that this can be a
>problem but says nothing about how to change it.  If there's a more up
>to date version that does, fine, but it's not my fault if I happen to
>have an older copy and didn't run across any news of an update.

We don't send out notices every time the FAQ is updated.  The reason we
include the URL for the FAQ in the bottom of this message and suggest,
in the mailing list welcome message, that you consult it before posting
is because it is guaranteed to be more up-to-date than something you
downloaded a while ago.

cgf