This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Cygwin and long filenames with spaces
- From: Michael A Chase <mchase at ix dot netcom dot com>
- To: Chris Game <chrisgame at bigfoot dot com>, cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 06:38:14 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
- Subject: Re: Cygwin and long filenames with spaces
- References: <MPG.email@example.com>
On Thu, 8 Aug 2002 14:12:51 +0100 Chris Game <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> How can you pass long filenames which include spaces to cygwin/bash
> commands like 'ls' under MS-Windows? Neither escaping the spaces, nor
> enclosing the filename in single or double quotes seems to work. I
> have to use the old DOS style short filename like /cygdrive/Docume~
> 1/... which can be a nuisance.
Quoting the entire file specification or escaping the spaces with '\' are
the normal ways that spaces in file or directory names are handled. Can
you send us the exact sequence of commands you are trying that are not
working as you expece?
** I normally forward private questions to the appropriate mail list. **
Ask Smarter: http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Give a hobbit a fish and he eats fish for a day.
Give a hobbit a ring and he eats fish for an age.
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting: http://cygwin.com/bugs.html