newbie's gripe with NT/2K/XP integration

hi everyone.

***warning : bad phrasing of words below. please read with sympathy***

i'm sure that this subject has been broched on this list before, but i can't for the life of me find anything in the archives. my question is why does cygwin support the technologically challenged platforms 9x/ME and ruining what could be much better support for the NT series. for example, the interface with security under 9x is actually non-existent anyway and removing support for 9x would make cygwin code smaller and neater (i'm an advocate of _very_ elegant coding), not to mention faster and more secure (what do you know, i mentioned them anyway :).

in any case, now that microsoft has combined 9x an NT into XP, isn't it time that cygwin follows suit?

genneth
- "a small, insignificant guy somewhere, plotting world domination with a squirrel"