Re: Updating dll info in the User's Guide

--- Robert Collins <rbcollins@cygwin.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-08-23 at 12:34, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the clarification.  I'll be happy if I don't have to
> > understand the Docbook stuff.  As I've previously mentioned, I
> think it
> > may actually be a barrier to entry to working on the docs.  My
> Docbook
> > installation seems to break after each OS upgrade.  Maybe that
> explains
> > the strangely formatted html.
>
> Likewise, as I've offered before, I'm happy to assist on docbook
> problems (related to Cygwin, naturally). Docbook is in *very* wide
> use,
> and there are plenty of resources for contributors to read to get
> up to
> speed. I don't think it's any more of a barrier to entry than
> understanding C or C++.

Well I think the lack of a decent docbook installation for cygwin is
a *big* barrier.  Docbook is such a PITA to setup that I detest every
second of it.  I mean we're talking about the type of setup
reminiscent of Redhat 3.0.3, where things got installed, but it was a
considierable timesink just to get the $%#^ing stuff to work right.
Even then it seems to work by voodoo, and I always forget what I did
to make it work (lots of trial and error).  A small rant, but I
*really* *really* *really* wish the various docbook maintainers would
get on the same page and establish a freakin' standard as to how the
docbook directory structure should be layed out.  I fear the would-be
docbook maintainer, Jon, has become a victim of his skydiving hobby.
Either that, or he's just ignoring my e-mails =).  Oh well, hopefully
someone will step up to the plate.

Cheers,
Nicholas