RE: 1.3.12: Process exit code's shifted up 8 bits (cwait, wait, waitpid)

What was I thinking, comparing the behaviour against Microsoft's :-)
Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Don Sharp [mailto:dwsharp@iee.org]
Sent: Friday, 23 August 2002 6:19 PM
To: Reddie, Steven
Cc: gnuwin32
Subject: Re: 1.3.12: Process exit code's shifted up 8 bits (cwait, wait,
waitpid)

"Reddie, Steven" wrote:

> There appears to be a bug in cwait and I think in other functions (wait,
> waitpid) in that the exit code of the child process is shifted up 8 bits.

This is the way it happens in Unix! If you can do a man waitpid on any
recent Unix system and it will tell you to use the supplied macros to
evaluate the status returned. (Funnily enough just yesterday we had some
code that had to be changed to evaluate the status code with the
WIFEXITED and WEXITSTATUS macros). See /usr/include/sys/wait.h

HTH

Don Sharp