This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
* Re: New install on Win XP, no rpm so can't intall anything
- From: jim brown <jim dot brown at smartarrays dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 13:00:15 -0700
- Subject: * Re: New install on Win XP, no rpm so can't intall anything
Thanks for the reply. I didn't know that cygwin doesn't use rpm.
What do I do if I want to install a package that is delivered as a
What's the alternative?
I went to the rpm web site to see if I could get a version there but
all distributed as ".rpm" files - catch 22.
jim brown wrote:
> I did a brand new clean install of cygwin from the internet.
> I installed all the packages.
> rpm fails with
> bash: rpm: No such file or directory
> I searched for anything named rpm and got this:
> $ find -name rpm*
> switching to /lib/mc/extfs/ and executing
> ./rpm -i xxx.rpm produces nothing (there is no package xxx.rpm)
> What have I done wrong?
Nothing - except assume Cygwin uses rpm. It doesn't. There has been a
discussion about maybe-possibly using rpm in the future, but no more
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting: http://cygwin.com/bugs.html