[gcj-3.2]: US locale [8859_1] coding is not supported

Hi,

I was trying to compile a java app with gcj.  The application had a
configure script and was designed with the intention of being
compiled with gcj.  It passes this flag (along with others) during
compile time:

"--encoding=8859_1"

which results in failure:

" [...]unknown encoding: `8859_1'
  This might mean that your locale's encoding is not supported
  by your system's iconv(3) implementation.  If you aren't trying
  to use a particular encoding for your input file, try the
  `--encoding=UTF-8' option"

Sure I could just use UTF-8, which is working perfectly fine [in most
cases, but not all], but I find it a little bizarre that US encodings
would not be supported.  Just thought I'd give you a heads up.

Cheers,
Nicholas