Re: (setup.ini) autoconf requires Perl?

--- "Patrick J. LoPresti" <patl@curl.com> wrote:
> Background: We have been using Cygwin for years.  We use Cygwin's
> autoconf.  We do not use Cygwin's Perl, and we do not wish to,
> because
> we are quite happy with the native Windows Perl from ActiveState.
>
> The current version of setup.ini thinks that autoconf requires
> Perl.
> This is not strictly true; Perl is only required for certain
> optional
> pieces of autoconf.  The basic autoconf functionality does not
> require
> Perl.
>
> I would like to suggest either removing this dependency, or adding
> an
> "autoconf-noperl" package which is identical to "autoconf" but
> without
> the Perl dependency.  I am willing to contribute patches for either
> of
> these if the maintainers are amenable.
>
> I would also love to hear other suggestions.  Note that "just
> deselect
> Perl during setup" is not a good answer for me, since I am
> automating
> this installation across a large number of workstations (using
> AutoIt).  Clicking at a certain spot in a certain dialog to select
> "all packages" is feasible to automate; scrolling down a list to
> select/deselect particular packages is not.
>
> Thanks for your time.  And thanks for Cygwin!

Not in autoconf 2.5x...  This version is totally dependant on perl
for all generation activities.  So setup is absolutely correct in
requiring perl.  AFAIK, there isn't a way to unbundle the perl
functionality either.  So my suggestion is to get over your dislike
of Cygwin perl and install it.  Many people have Cygwin perl and
ActiveState co-existing happily...

Quote straight from the autoconf README:
"Producing configuration scripts using Autoconf requires GNU M4 and
Perl".

Cheers,
Nicholas